Tuesday, February 03, 2009

Meridies Primus (Longus Linus)

I begin
From this point, my path disjoint
Lifeless longitudes at my lonely sides
Ice Capades and frozen tides
Block my sight
The endless night gives way
To the endless day
The hammer of the Gods will drive
My ship, till I arrive

Through the epeiric locker of Davey Jones
To the Kingdom of scones
Where they hoist the colours high
But I must move on, the time is nigh
Onward, to where there's no respect
For a quondam relic, but I suspect
It's their own ghosts they fight
Still bask in the corporal's incorporeal light

Tally-ho, towards tortillas then
Spilling some salsa on Sierra Nevada
Aboard an avid hitch-hiker's armada
A hop over the waters of middle earth
A multitude of mores marking its girth

I reach the land of a thousand suns
Where the universe is rolled into that eternal question
"What are the roots that clutch, what branches grow,
out of this stony rubbish?"
I don't see fear in a handful of dust
But if I must
This land is the nerve centre of misgivings
So I move on to greener pastures
And the battlegrounds of fallen masters
Amid ashes of an ancient Armageddon
Ashanti still rules in abandon

I jump headlong in the briniest blue
That parts the turquoise globe in two
It's parted too
By a crack, where I slip through

When I emerge in blinding white
My friends long gone appear in sight
From endless days to endless nights
And the dance of the southern sprites
I've been here before

3 comments:

Alpha said...

Mmm, I just had a quesadilla for lunch. So what exactly is this poem supposed to be about?

Unkool said...

Cool, what's a quessadilla?
The poem is actually pretty straightforward, despite the pretence of profundity. It's the journey of the prime meridian from north to south pole. See if you get the geographical references.

Alpha said...

A quesadilla is a Mexican dish..kinda like a taco. It's two tortillas with cheese and toppings inside: http://www.pe.com/imagesdaily/2007/07-04/quesadilla_dude04_400.jpg

But I guess when you say tortillas in your poem you mean Spain? And the "kingdom of scones" would be Britain... "briniest" blue would have to mean the Dead Sea since it's the saltiest body of water...

I guess with "Ashanti" that would be Northern Africa or somewhere around there...or nearer to the Middle East. Close? What else am I missing?